Although many college students normally fail to understand the approach they are supposed to give to their essay writing, it is important to understand that this is one of the most important parts of your studies. There are numerous things that every student should know in order to be able to give a proper approach to their writing if at all one is to succeed in their endeavor. It is important to give your essay a proper approach starting with a proper essay planning that will help you to build up a convincing custom essay. As with any other things that you want to achieve, essay planning is one of the most important things that you need to do before you start your initial writing. Even before you write a draft of your essay, you need to sit down and come up with a proper writing plans as this will be the only way to succeed.
If you don’t know How To Plan an Essay, we are here for you
Normally, the essay planning provides you in 3 major ways which we will be discussing in this article. Below are these ways:
- Structure: by planning an essay beforehand, you get a clear structure which you are supposed to follow in the process of writing. This gives your essay a flow that will allow your examiners too to be able to follow your writing properly without struggling. Many people normally have great ideas and arguments which they could use to make their essay an impressive one but due to lack of proper planning fail to get their arguments across. The writing plan helps you to have all your arguments written down in a successive manner and that way you miss none during the actual writing.
- Arguments: by having a proper writing plan for your essay, you are able to express your arguments consistently and also in a very clear manner. This also allows you to gather sufficient evidence which you can use to support your case. This also helps in ensuring that you have not missed the most important pieces of your arguments during the actual writing.
- Writing: As you review your arguments properly, you are able to avoid the possible problems that normally occur when it comes to writing. Many people always think that they can be able to do both writing down their ideas while at the same time being able to find the most appropriate words needed to convey these ideas.
Tips for Essay Writing
Essay planning is such a critical factor in writing a paper. Because of this reason, it cannot be ignored, nor can one take shortcuts in this planning process. In line with this, the following tips regarding essay planning can assist any student writing a paper:
1. Carefully align the paper’s topic with the length, breadth, and depth requirements of the assignment. For example, one would not choose the topic “ideological differences between the Democrats and Republicans” if the assignment requirement is a 5-paragraph essay. For this length and breadth, essay planning would involve the need to narrow down the topic to one ideological difference between the two political parties.
2. Conduct the required research and brainstorm all ideas related to the topic. Consolidate these ideas into 3-5 subtopics.
3. Prepare an outline and organize the contents of the paper before writing begins. If several subtopics are included, begin with the most important towards the least significant aspect. Many students who struggle with how to plan an essay skip this important step, and the result can be the lack of coherence and fluency.
4. Follow the outline as the body paragraphs are composed. Each paragraph should address one subtopic and contain a compelling topic sentence followed by relevant details. The paragraph length will obviously depend on the nature of the subtopic, and some are more complex than others. However, be mindful that a paragraph does not usually exceed 8-9 sentences. If you find that you need to go beyond that, the subtopic should be divided into multiple paragraphs with solid transition sentences for good flow.
5. Consider composing the introduction and conclusion after the body paragraphs have been developed. You will have a much clearer picture of your overall thesis once the subtopics have been fully developed.
6. Be less concerned with the length of an essay than with its content. Your thesis must be developed in a compelling way, and that is your top priority.
When students are unsure about how to plan an essay, they would be well-advised to refer to the tips listed above which provide a plan of action for effective writing.
However, by making a simple plan for your essay you stand in a better place to come up with a fine tuned paper that will help you in garnering the marks that you need. Planning an essay is paramount and should not be ignored during the writing.